Resources for fighting racism in publishing and pedagogy

Hello all,

I’m beginning a list of resources that support anti-racist publishing and pedagogy. This list is not complete. I encourage those who are able and willing to contribute, share, and comment. Together, we can combat racism in every community, movement, and organisation. Our company’s statement on systemic racism is available on our blog, and the next newsletter (which, like our previous newsletters, is archived for future viewing) will include a list of actions people involved in the Open Education community can take to fight racism. This list is a starting point. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this list grows. I’ll update this post with links to the statement and the newsletter as soon as they’re available.

Again, I really want to stress that I encourage everyone who can contribute to do so. Fighting racism in higher education and publishing is going to take a community.

Resources for fighting racism in publishing and pedagogy

“White Academia: Do Better” by Jasmine Roberts

If I can recommend one text that everyone should read to inform their anti-racist thinking and practices, (well, I would recommend everyone read a lot more than one text) it would be Jasmine Roberts call to action “White Academia: Do Better.” It’s full of very clear actions that faculty and administrators in higher education can do right now.

#BlackInTheIvory by Joy Melody Woods, MA and Dr. Shardé M. Davis

Follow this hashtag on Twitter to hear accounts of experiences of Black people who work or attend institutions of higher education. I’m a huge believer in the power of personal storytelling, and these are some powerful stories.

“Pulling Together: A Guide for Indigenization of Post-Secondary Institutions; A Professional Learning Series” by BCcampus, the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training, and a steering committee Indigenous education leaders including “Indigenous education leaders from B.C. universities, colleges, and institutes, the First Nations Education Steering Committee, the Indigenous Adult and Higher Learning Association, and Métis Nation British Columbia.”

BCcampus offers a series of guides that a variety of institutions and people can use to indigenize their resources and curriculum.

“Anti-Racist Pedagogy Guide: Methods and challenges” from University of Southern California

This research guide, among others from USC, offers a good set of annotated readings.

“Canadian education is steeped in anti-black racism” by Robyn Maynard

Because Rebus Foundation is headquartered in Canada, it’s important for us to acknowledge and speak out about the racist systems that are close to home. Robyn Maynard is also the author of an excellent book on racist policing in Canada, called Policing Black Lives.

The Noun Project, Women of Color in Tech, and Broadly Gender Spectrum Collection

These three resources are collections of icons and stock photos that can be used to make content more representative of a diverse population.

Cite Black Women “Our Praxis” by Christen A. Smith, PhD

On the Cite Black Women website, Christen A. Smith has clearly broken down the hows and whys of dismantling “patriarchal, white supremacist, heterosexist, imperialist impetus of the neoliberal university (and its accomplices) by centering Black women’s ideas and intellectual contributions.”

“How to Cite Like a Badass Tech Feminist Scholar of Color” by Sareeta Amrute and Rigoberto Lara Guzmán

Download, read, and pass this zine around

2 Likes

Thanks for putting in this work to get us started, Leigh. I’ve come across many resources myself and more so in conversations with community members over the recent weeks. I’ll add to your list with the following:

I hope that this shapes our collective approach and future work. Thank you again Leigh, and Liza, Michael for this growing list.

2 Likes

Thanks Apurva. I learned from the article about anti-black linguistic racism by Dr. April Baker-Bell.
There are also important sociological analyses of urban and street life by sociologists that help contextualize the complex and often constrained roles faced by Black men in particular and by people of color more generally. Dr. Elijah Anderson of Yale is a leading sociologist and ethnographer describing this context. Anderson’s books on these topics include Streetwise and Code of the Streets).

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that you’ve read and learned from Dr. Baker-Bell’s article. Thank you these additional for the recommendations! I’m including links to Dr. Anderson’s two books for others to more easily access them:

1 Like

@jeff.gallant shared a reading list for Disrupting Whiteness in Libraries and Librarianship developed by Dr. Karla J. Strand from the University of Wisconsin-Madison on Twitter. It has been updated this June with new material. Thanks for sharing, Jeff!

1 Like

What an awesome list, thanks to all for contributing. Adding a few more things I’ve come across recently:

And one last one - it isn’t really related to education or publishing (although at the very least, it drives home the vital importance of education affordability that OER works towards), but it is one of the most powerful and extraordinary things I’ve read in recent weeks: What is Owed by Nikole Hannah Jones.

3 Likes