Session 12: Curriculum Wrap Up (June 2022 Cohort)

Hello, @june22-cohort! Here are our slides and handout for today’s session wrapping up Phase 1 of the TSP. During part of today’s session, we’ll be doing a final reflection activity. I’ll explain more during the session, but here are the instructions:

Please find a picture that helps you articulate your learning experience around DEI in Phase 1. Post the picture to the Session 12 thread in the Rebus Forum.

Instructions:

1. Visit one of the suggested image repositories:
  1. Find and download a picture that represents your learning experience around DEI in Phase 1.
  2. Upload the picture to the Session 12 thread in your cohort discussion space on the Rebus Forum.
  3. Add a title and a brief description that tells us why you chose that image.
  4. Review others’ posts.

Producing equitable OER requires us to include as many perspectives in our process as possible. We create better work when we provide opportunities for others to use their own voice.

I choose this picture because everyone looks professional and happy together!

2 Likes

OER can help all see themselves in the learning process and content and like the plants around this image, allow all to flourish and grow.

2 Likes

Collaboration, respect, valuing all

1 Like

Lightbulb moments

Interconnected light fixture by Fabio Bracht on Unsplash

Many lightbulb moments around OER and DEI! It also represents engaging with multiple contributors and multiple aspects of the OER publishing process to bring the whole project together - even if some “lights” are brighter than others (i.e., everything doesn’t have to be perfect).

1 Like

This image reminds me of not only the many diverse tribes, but also Indigenous groups all across the U.S. that are represented by our project. I was struck by the beauty of their regalia and demeanor.

These women are part of active or retired U.S. Military.

2 Likes

Congratulations, @june22-cohort! We have now hit a major milestone in TSP: This is week 12 and with that, we have completed Phase 1! We hope that as we worked through our intensive sessions in the last 12 weeks with you, the curriculum has helped you gain clarity on what open publishing entails and all the innovative possibilities it holds for your teaching practice. That being said, there’s still plenty to explore and learn over the coming 9 months as a community of practice, as we move into Phase 2 of the program.

Here’s today’s session chat transcript. This session saw us do a few different things. We revisited the key takeaways of TSP Phase 1, created spaces for reflection, clarified expectations for Phase 2, and did some goal setting work.

The first part of our session was dedicated to wrapping up Phase 1. I provided a brief recap of the past 12 weeks, before I asked everyone to complete an evaluation. Those of you who missed the session, please kindly submit your feedback via the anonymous survey below [it takes about 10-15 min. to complete]:

In the second part of our session, we looked ahead to Phase 2 of the Textbook Success Program and discussed the following items (alternating between brief input from me and activities done by the participants):

• I shared what to expect from our monthly sessions going forward and asked everybody present to agree to the expectations (See Slide 12 in our slide deck).
  • I laid out how we can stay in touch asynchronously in between meetings (See Slide 13)
  • The teams started discussing their project-specific goals for Phase 2 and consolidated their project timelines. Access our cohort specific folders for the template guiding this activity here: Cohorts Goals and Timeline Folder - Google Drive. As the instructions on the template indicate, please make a copy of the template for your team (if you haven’t already) in the June 2022 cohort folder. During our October monthly session, each team will have a few minutes to share the highlights of what they’ve decided upon in this document.
  • We did a final reflection activity where we asked cohort members to reflect on their DEI learning in to the program and upload an image that best represents this in the forum. If you were absent, please complete this activity as outlined in the first post of this Session 12 thread. And thank you to all those who have posted already. Lots of great responses!

To prepare for our first cohort meeting in Phase 2, please consult the session handout and do the suggested homework activities.

One final (but hugely important) thing to take care of: By the end of this week, please fill out this poll to help use choose our monthly session time for Phase 2. I’ve added some Tuesday and Thursday options since some of you are unable to attend on Mondays and Wednesdays. Hopefully we’ll be able to land on a time that accommodates everyone. As soon as we’ve landed on a time, you’ll receive calendar invitations for our remaining sessions.

It’s been wonderful working with you in the last 12 weeks, and l look forward to supporting you going forward as well! Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks and take care!

1 Like

Thank you @bjm6168 and everybody in the @june22-cohort for your commitment to changing the status quo in Higher Ed teaching and the positive energy you’ve been bringing to our shared spaces thus far. It sustains the good work we all do and makes it so much more worthwhile!

Wishing everybody much focus and smooth sailing as you embark on to your more independent content creation/ adaptation work! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you need anything from us at the Rebus Team in the next months of TSP Phase 2.

Jördis

1 Like

@june22-cohort, just a reminder to please fill out the Doodle poll ASAP so that we can set a meeting time for later this month. Thanks to all those who’ve filled it out already!

@june22-cohort, one last reminder to fill out the Doodle poll for our upcoming meetings. If you haven’t already, please fill it out by Monday. Right now, it looks like the leading option for our October session is Tuesday, Oct. 25 from 3:30-5:00 p.m. Eastern/2:30-4:00 p.m. Central. Thanks!