Session 12 (LOUIS D). Wrap-up

Hi @oct22-d-cohort, today’s last July session is titled “Wrap-up”! There will be no new lesson material. Instead, we’ll dedicate the session to reflecting on what you’ve learned and where you want to go.

Here’s a fun exercise we’ll complete together:

Ebook Cover Instructions:

1. Have your liaison or other team member log into Canva (with gmail, etc.)
  2. Search for: ebook cover
  3. Choose a template to start or create from scratch
  4. Add pictures, text, and design elements that tell the story and broader vision of your OER. It can be surreal and very messy; or it can be a minimalist, highly cohesive design that you could use for your textbook!
  5. Upload or share the link to your ebook cover in this forum. We’ll discuss your cover during the session. If you’re not present, you can discuss the cover in the forum.
1 Like

What a fun exercise! I’m looking forward to seeing the results :slight_smile: Hope you all have a good session.

1 Like

Intro to Philosophy

https://www.canva.com/design/DAFpkk0zO3w/r7HR2CEZkFHtmd6K7v1qQQ/edit?utm_content=DAFpkk0zO3w&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link2&utm_source=sharebutton

2 Likes

2 Likes

https://www.canva.com/design/DAFpkjpgnxI/r3NVflu1sOt381X62WuXyQ/edit?utm_content=DAFpkjpgnxI&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link2&utm_source=sharebutton

2 Likes

It was great seeing you today, the folks who could join from @oct22-d-cohort! Here are the survey results from the Menti survey we started the session with. Also, here’s the Session 12 chat transcript.

The session was dedicated to reflecting on and discussing what we took from TSP Sessions 1-12, as well as what we’re looking forward to once the projects are completed. We looked at a few resources, which I’ll link to below. These links are rather AI-heavy because of the informal conversation we had:

• Hypothes.is is what my OER teams have used to get external feedback on Pressbook chapters that have already been published.
  • Writing and AI is the section my own OER team is working on right now (and also getting feedback on). If you would like to leave feedback or adapt some of the chapters, let me know! You may be able to point me to OER in this area that I’m not familiar with. This part is in beta and still a work in progress.
  • Poe.com is the platform that collects a variety of chatbots, include Claude, ChatGPT, and others. As we discussed, Claude 2-100k has a 100k context window, which means you can upload a ton of text as part of your prompt. This affordance may be useful for, e.g., analyzing large parts of a textbook to see whether they’re written for dual credit audiences.
  • Canva ebook cover templates is a good starting place for playing around with textbook covers. Follow up with @emily.frank if you would like to customize your Pressbook cover, since Louis offers a default design.

Some of the teams were able to create OER textbook covers on the fly, using Canva! See the other responses in this forum for examples.

I look forward to checking in with your projects in a month. I hope you enjoy a few weeks off, if possible.

1 Like