Session 5: Meetings with Facilitator 1:1 (October 2022 B Cohort)

Hey @oct22-b-cohort! Looking forward to seeing your groups one-on-one today. You should already have the Zoom invitation, so just jump into our Zoom space at the time your team has signed up for in the Nov 15th Sign-Up Sheet. To simplify things, I’ll list those times here:

1:15pm - 1:30pm Finite Mathematics
1:30pm - 1:45pm College Algebra
1:45pm - 2:05pm Trigonometry
2:05pm - 2:20pm Applied Calculus
2:20pm - 2:35pm Introductory Statistics

Here are some of the things we’ll move through when we meet. Your groups will shift into a new phase at the beginning of 2023 so my goal right now is just to make sure you’re set up for success.

• A draft of project summary exists and (ideally) has been shared on the Project Forum pages.
  • You’ve begun discussing roles
  • Clear understanding of documentation system and communication preferences
  • Teams have set up a regular meeting schedule
  • Teams have started to identify and review OER
  • Teams have identified and addressed challenges within teams that have come up so far

If some of your team members cannot attend, the Zoom recording should be available like normal. The 1:30 group meeting will start at that time promptly!

Hi @oct22-b-cohort! This week, you and I had the chance to meet 1:1 in your project teams. Here are some things that came up:

1. Scoping: many teams noted that there are a wide range of materials in your subject matter, and that has the potential to overwhelm. We chatted about some helpful tips, such as looking through resources and determining topics that were ‘must haves’, ‘would be nice to haves’, and ‘not needed’ in your own resources.
  2. Team Meetings: a number of groups mentioned that meeting synchronously with your teams was tricky, as this semester has been quite busy and we chatted about your upcoming team meetings this week and next month. It’s great you’re all doing your best to keep up to date asynchronously, and remember your teams will be meeting more frequently in the new year - so you’re a lot further along than you all think!

Have a wonderful week ahead and see you all at our next session. Our next session is November 29th, where we’ll reconvene as a cohort and talk about Accessibility and Inclusive Design!

-Kaitlin

2 Likes

Hey @oct22-b-cohort!

Summary update from last week:

1. I sent an email out on 11/22 with a recap (minutes) from our November cohort meetings. If you didn’t get that email, please let me know. You can find the agenda to the meeting and recordings here: Second Cohort Meeting 11.14 - 11.18

2. Provide your feedback on all documents in the individual cohort folders in the shared Google Drive (found here: Math Cohorts. I’m setting a deadline of Sunday, December 18 to have all comments made on the Project Summary, Storytelling & Communications, and Roles and Responsibilities documents. You’ll find a spot on each document for you to provide comments under each section. Please provide a comment, even if you think it is minor.

3. We should all be taking time to search for OER resources to help us curate our own resource:

• You can use the list of OER repositories from Rebus (found on this OER worksheet) and there is also the LOUIS OER Commons
  • In addition to what was mentioned above, Emily Frank shared the following additional OER resource repositories:
    ** American Institute of Mathematics Approved OER Textbooks: This page groups open textbooks by course title. All the books have been judged to meet the evaluation criteria set by the AIM editorial board.
    ** Pressbooks Directory: We will be using Pressbooks for our titles, so you can explore here to see what math books in Pressbooks look like (in addition to seeing if there are titles you would want to adapt).
  1. LOUIS and I had some initial conversations about using LaTEX and/or MathJax in the pressbooks and also using a free homework system (MyOpenMath) when the course templates are built. More discussion will take place on these!

I think that is all the important parts. :slight_smile:

1 Like