MyOpenMath and Moodle Discussion

Applied Calculus Cohort -

This topic is being added to have discussion on editing the MyOpenMath and Moodle courses.

Hey Applied Calc cohort -

Just some of my thoughts with the MyOpenMath course:

1. We don’t need the Textbook links, because we will have the Pressbook. I moved this part below the homework.

2. We could keep the Written Homework and Handouts for other instructors to use. I moved this part below the homework.

3. Chapter 1 has a section of homework for each section in the pressbook for Chapter 1. These could just be copied in as is.
    *I don’t think we need the textbook links brought in, but I wouldn’t mind the videos being brought into Moodle.

4. Chapter 2 has sections of homework for our Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 in the pressbook. Many of these could be brought in as is.
    *For Chapter 2, we would use 2.2 and 2.3 as is.
    *2.5 has the Power, Sum, Product, Quotient, and Chain Rules all in it. We could edit it to split up for pressbook sections 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5 or leave it alone.
    *For Chapter 3, we would use 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 and 2.11 - all as is.

5. Chapter 3 has sections of homework for our Chapter 4 in the pressbook for the sections 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, and 4.6 - these could be used as is.
    *We wouldn’t need the sections in MyOpenMath for 3.5 or 3.8.
    *We could edit 3.6 to just be Average Value and add Net Change Theorem for our 4.5.
    *Again, I don’t think we need the textbook links brought in, but I wouldn’t mind the videos being brought into Moodle.

6. Chapter 4 we don’t need because we don’t cover this in our pressbook.

Hi cohort team -

Just sharing a status report:

Pressbook

1. I deleted all of the OpenStax content from the Pressbook and a few extra Word Import pieces still in there. This was for us to be able to move forward and see the book as complete as it is right now.

2. I exported the links for the book into Moodle. I then realized I didn’t need the the introductions, front matter, and back matter - so I deleted those links.

3. I put all the section links in the correct Module in Moodle.

MyOpenMath

1. I did do a successful import from MyOpenMath into Moodle, only bringing in the Video link pages and the Homework Assignments for each Chapter. Then I realized I should have made section naming edits first - so I did that in MyOpenMath and in Moodle afterwards… ugh. I also deleted some sections brought in from MOM that we didn’t need (Chapter 4 - Functions of Two Variables).
  • The only edits I made to any assignment was our 4.5. I also edited the videos link page by deleting the content I removed form 4.5.
  1. Here are some changes done in MyOpenMath (per my previous post):
  • Chapter 1:
    *each Section # of the homework left as is.

• Chapter 2:
    *didn’t use 2.1 or 2.4 (still in MyOpenMath)
    *2.2 changed to 2.1 and 2.3 changed to 2.2 to match Pressbook.
    *2.5 changed to 2.3, 2.4, & 2.5 to match Pressbook - this assignment has the Power, Sum, Product, Quotient, and Chain Rules all in it. If we wanted to make additional assignments for these to be separate, we can do that.
    *Sections 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 and 2.11 changed to Sections 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6 to match Pressbook

• Chapter 3:
    *Sections 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, and 3.7 were changed to Sections 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, and 4.6 to match Pressbook be used as is.
    *didn’t use 3.5 or 3.8 (still in MyOpenMath)
    *Changed Section 3.6 to Section 4.5. I removed the Area and Volume questions and added some Net Change problems.

• Chapter 4:
    *none of the assignments were needed; right now they are still in MOM

• I left all the assignments in their original location for now, but I think rearranging in MOM and deleting things not in the Moodle course would be a good idea before the project ends.

1. I didn’t make any assignment question edits to any assignment other than the new 4.5. IF someone did, please reply what you did.

I agree with leaving 2.5 as it is, without creating separate assignments. I’m currently reviewing the assignments, and I’ll post here if I have any suggestions or changes before making any changes.

Thanks for the reply @bkunwor .

I know our Moodle course is not 100% ready for the review, but it should be completed by the end of the year. A few comments before the review period:

1. I finished a Syllabus document to go in the course. I will put it in the course.
  2. All content Modules are 99% complete.
  3. We need to discuss some other things to edit in select Modules (i.e. the Welcome and Getting Started Modules).
  4. I didn’t do anything with the Midterm and Final Exam Modules.