Phase 2: June 1:1 Check-In (October 2022 B Cohort)

Hey there @oct22-b-cohort ,

I hope your June is going well and y’all are staying as cool as you can with the heat wave you’ve been having! I’ve been seeing a lot of your updates here on the forum and it seems like y’all are making really good progress. I’m looking forward to touching base with each team to hear how things are going and your upcoming goals for the month!

@emily.frank sent out a revised zoom link for us earlier this month, so we’ll be meeting there. Below are the times I’ll be meeting with your teams. As a reminder, sessions will be recorded, so if your schedule doesn’t allow you to join us, you’ll be able to catch up on the recording!

Finite Mathematics: 10:00-10:20am, Friday, April 28
Trigonometry: 10:20-10:40am, Friday, April 28
Applied Calculus: 10:40-11:00am, Friday, April 28
College Algebra: 11:00-11:20am, Friday, April 28
Statistics: 11:20-11:40am, Friday, April 28

Please bring any questions you might have and be prepared to set some goals for the upcoming month.
See you all Friday!

-Kaitlin

Happy Monday @oct22-b-cohort,

Thanks for checking in with me last Friday! It was lovely to see you all and get a chance to hear some updates from each team. It was great to hear how many people are enjoying this process and proud of the hard work your teams are putting in!

Teams are making fantastic progress! It sounds like every team has a majority, if not all, of their books uploaded into Pressbooks and you all have created workflows to work through each chapter. Over the next month, I encourage you to keep up the great work and consider ways to include more localized examples/content and more interactivity as you work through editing.

I know some math subjects can be tricky to think of how to localize content, but consider how you might be able to change up some of the problems in the book (or even in homework) or how you can include real world examples (from within or outside of Louisiana). Contextualizing mathematics with real world examples, such as social justice, can be a fantastic way to encourage students not only to learn but enjoy the subject at hand! How does Algebra or Finite Math, for example, show up in the day to day lives of your students?

Reminder that in July we will be switching back to our weekly sessions and chatting about some topics that will most likely show up for your teams pretty quickly:

Friday, July 7 - 10am - 11am CDT: Review and Feedback
Friday, July 14 - 10am - 11am CDT: Formatting and Release Preparation
Friday, July 21 - 10am - 11am CDT: Release and Adoptions
Friday, July 28 - 10am - 11am CDT: Curriculum Wrap-Up

As always, if you have any questions or are looking for any resources, please reach out and I’m happy to help!

Take care of yourselves and I look forward to seeing y’all in a couple of weeks!

Kaitlin