Team Decisions - input needed

Good Morning team, @karen.perilloux , @pghimire , @csingleton

I think we need to make some decisions to ensure that we are all editing the sections in the same manner. I currently would like to know your position on the following two topics: Key Concepts linking and Section Exercises numbering.

Emily has identified my error in using the anchors and has fixed them in 8. Linear Equations in One Variable. Now we need to decide if we want to use them in the Key Concepts. Currently most of the sections have a link titled Figure that links to an Example. These will need to be editing on all sections. For more information on how to do the linking see the Editing in Pressbook Questions forum.
Proposal:

1. Delete the Figure reference from the Key Concepts all together and let this just be a summary. I don’t think we will lose much if we do this.
  2. We will need to set anchors and hyperlink to the correct example. If we do this, we need to have a convention for naming. Currently 8. is just the name of the example, but this is long and I think unnecessary. If we want to keep the links, then I think this should be one of the last edits after Examples are numbered.

Also, Emily has fixed the number on the Section Exercises in Section 8. Linear Equation in One Variable. I think we need the numbering, but this will require manually editting the html code.
Options:

1. Leave it as it without any numbers.
  2. Manually edit the html to include numbers for the exercises.
  3. I think if we moved the ‘show solution’ boxes to the end of the exercises, we could use the list in the visual editor for the correct numbering, but this will require us to copy and paste all the show solutions to the end of the section. We would also have to add a number to the show solution text to reference the problem that this is the solution to.

Before I go any further in editing, I would like to have these answers. So please take a look and reply back with your thoughts.

1 Like

@gbradley @karen.perilloux @csingleton: My editing in section 10. Complex Numbers is in progress. Here is a list of the major update that I have made so far:

1. Added media content related to each Learning objective.
  2. Added H5P content related to each Learning objective.
  3. Added sub-level to the table of content.
  4. Linked Key Concepts with examples using " Anchor." I have linked the examples by names instead of numbers. I think linking key concepts with examples is unnecessary. Maybe, we can delete/unlink the figure from the existing Key Concepts and present the Key concepts as a section summary.
  5. Tried to add numbers to section exercises using HTML manually, but it did not work.

Cooming to your proposals @gbradley:

I would go with the option: “1. Delete the Figure reference from the Key Concepts all together and let this just be a summary. I don’t think we will lose much if we do this”.

For numbering: I think we should include the number, not just for exercises but also for examples, Try it, etc. @emily.frank: We would appreciate it if someone could help us with the numbering issue.

1 Like

@pghimire , I wanted to share with you the information that I received from @emily.frank on the numbering:

Re: numbering in the Section Exercises, this will require manually editing in the Text editor. It’s less about the divs, although those can be deleted, and more about the

. I changed each set of questions from an <ul> to <ol> using the “numbered list” button in the visual editor. Then, in the text editor, I added start=“3” (or whatever number the section needed to start with) to each <ol> tag to continue the numbering. Example:

<h4>Algebraic</h4>
    For the following exercises, solve the equation for[latex],x.[/latex]
    <div id="fs-id1540386">
    <div id="fs-id1540387">
    <ol start="3">
    <li id="fs-id1540388">[latex]7x+2=3x-9[/latex]</li>
    <li>[latex]4x-3=5[/latex]</li>
    </ol>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div id="fs-id2019698">
    <div id="fs-id2019700"></div>
    <div class="textbox shaded"><details open="open"><summary>Show Solution to [latex]4x-3=5[/latex]</summary>
    <p id="fs-id2425660">[latex]x=2[/latex]</p>

</details></div>
    </div>
    <div id="fs-id2400227">
    <div id="fs-id2400228">
    <ol start="5">
    <li id="fs-id2400230">[latex]3\left(x+2\right)-12=5\left(x+1\right)[/latex]</li>
    <li>[latex]12-5\left(x+3\right)=2x-5[/latex]</li>
    </ol>

Etc.

It is painstaking and manual but it will do the job, and I think it’s more accessible than manually adding numbers.

2 Likes

@gbradley @pghimire @csingleton
Ginny, I agree that the Figure links in the Key Concept section are not necessary. After browsing 4 sections, they seem to be a duplicate of the lesson objectives at the top of the lesson that are now also visible in the table of contents. I would almost go so far as to say that they are no longer needed, but that is for the team to decide.

At first I thought numbers would be helpful, but after examining these same 4 sections of the book, it seems that the topics far outweigh a numbering system. I know the lesson I worked on was pretty long. I think learners will be more concerned with the topic than with what number problem it is. Then we would also need to decide on the numbering format, which might require different levels of numbering.

I also think we should keep the “show solutions” in line. Moving them all to the end could disrupt the flow of the chapter.

These are my opinions now, but I am open to anything the team decides.

Also, I like the idea of having a “style guide.” A reference sheet with the correct order and formatting we will use for each section.

Also, as I have been working on section 11. Quadratic Equations, I noticed that this section has many more examples where the “show solution” involves a graph with a Figure and a link to the figure, which really doesn’t move the screen much at all. These seem almost unnecessary. Maybe I would need to view on a mobile device to really see their value.

@karen.perilloux ,
In regards to the Figures appearing in the Show Solution and in the text itself, I have been deleting the link. I just make sure the Figure or Table is labelled on the illustration and text match. According to Emily Frank, this is okay. Since, I agree with you that the link isn’t necessary.

For now I think we should just deleted the link and reference in the Key Concepts. They may not bee needed, but we can keep them until we decide otherwise. Deleting is a lot easier than adding!

@csingleton @gbradley @karen.perilloux @jeusea: Let’s meet remotely via zoom and decide what to keep and what to delete. I am not sure whether there will be a breakout session in Jared’s meeting or not. If Jared has a breakout session, we can discuss this issue there; if not, let’s schedule a separate zoom meeting for our cohort.

@gbradley @karen.perilloux @jeusea: I have classes during the Math Cohort and TSP meetings. If the team decides to meet on Zoom during my non-teaching time, then I will participate. If the team meet during the Zoom breakout session. Can someone please post the discussion in Rebus?

According to Jared, he will allow us some time to talk, but I don’t think it will be enough time to get an agreement on all the issues. So, I think having an outside meeting would be great. Do you think we could also do this on Friday? I’m available most of the day Friday except during our cohort meeting and from 2:30-3:30? Can everyone reply with your schedule to see if we can make something work?

1 Like

I think we can have a College algebra cohort meeting on Friday. I am available on Friday: 9-10, 11-12, and 3-5.

@gbradley - Thank you for leading this discussion, and @pghimire and @karen.perilloux both for your participation.

I am unable to meet today after our cohort meeting, but I trust decisions you all make.

@csingleton @gbradley @karen.perilloux : We had a very productive discussion during the Math cohort meeting. Thank you all for agreeing on the following:

• Numbering only for section exercises
  • Remove references link from Key Concept section
  • Remove the reference link from figures/tables and just put the number for them.

I will start editing Section 14. Other Types of Equations.

2 Likes

@gbradley @karen.perilloux @pghimire: I am available for meetings on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 12:00-1:00 pm, 3 - 5 pm, Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 - 10:00 am, and 3 - 5 pm.

Hi Team,
I just wanted to let you know that I signed us up for the 10:40-11:00 time slot on Friday, April 28th. Earlier times slots were filled, and I would be unable to attend after 11:00. If this doesn’t agree with the majority, please feel free to change it.

@gbradley, @karen.perilloux, @pghimire: Below is an outline of the objectives for the Chapter Exponential and Logarithmic Functions. Some of the sections are long. Do you want to delete or move content around? My concern is aligning the videos with the objectives. I added some of the objectives. Do we want to keep 1) Exponential and Logarithmic Models and 2) Fitting the Exponential Models to Data?

What did you do with the Key Equations?

1. Exponential Functions
  • Evaluate exponential functions.
  • Find the equation of an exponential function.
  • Use compound interest formulas.
  • Evaluating Functions with Base e
  1. Graphs of Exponential Functions
  • Graph exponential functions

• Graph exponential functions using transformations .or Graphing a Shift in Exponential Functions

• Graphing a Stretch or Compression ??

• Graphing Reflections

• Summarizing Translations of the Exponential Function

• Writing a Function from a Description

1. Logarithmic Functions
  • Convert from logarithmic to exponential form.
  • Convert from exponential to logarithmic form.
  • Evaluate logarithms.
  • Use common logarithms.
  • Use natural logarithms.
  1. Graphs of Logarithmic Functions
  • Identify the domain of a logarithmic function.

• Identifying the Domain of a Logarithmic Shift and Reflection

• Graph logarithmic functions.

• Graphing Transformations of Logarithmic Functions or Graphing a Shift in Logarithmic Functions

• Graphing Stretches and Compressions of y = log b (x)

• Graphing Reflections of f(x) = log b (x)

• Summarizing Translates of the Logarithmic Function

• Finding the Equation from a Graph

1. Logarithmic Properties
  • Use the product rule for logarithms.
  • Use the quotient rule for logarithms.
  • Use the power rule for logarithms.
  • Expand logarithmic expressions.
  • Condense logarithmic expressions.
  • Use the change-of-base formula for logarithms.
  1. Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
  • Use like bases to solve exponential equations.
  • Use logarithms to solve exponential equations.
  • Use the definition of a logarithm to solve logarithmic equations.
  • Use the one-to-one property of logarithms to solve logarithmic equations.
  • Solve applied problems involving exponential and logarithmic equations.

Exponential and Logarithmic Models

• Model exponential growth and decay.
  • Use Newton’s Law of Cooling.
  • Use logistic-growth models.
  • Choose an appropriate model for data.
  • Express an exponential model in base e.

Fitting Exponential Model to Data

• Build an exponential model from data.
  • Build a logarithmic model from data.
  • Build a logistic model from data.

@csingleton ,
In regards to the objectives:
37. Graphs of Exponential Functions

• Graph exponential functions
  • Graph exponential functions using transformations .or Graphing a Shift in Exponential Functions
  • Graphing a Stretch or Compression ??
  • Graphing Reflections
  • Summarizing Translations of the Exponential Function
  • Writing a Function from a Description
    I realize that these are in the text, but I feel that they all are under the Graphing exponential functions using transformations.

Transformations of functions is covered extensively in the Functions chapter. At this point in the term, it is just a review.

I would suggest the same for the Graphs of Logarithmic Functions.
39. Graphs of Logarithmic Functions

• Identify the domain of a logarithmic function.
    * Identifying the Domain of a Logarithmic Shift and Reflection
  • Graph logarithmic functions.
  • Graphing Transformations of Logarithmic Functions or Graphing a Shift in Logarithmic Functions
  • Graphing Stretches and Compressions of y = log b (x)
  • Graphing Reflections of f(x) = log b (x)
  • Summarizing Translates of the Logarithmic Function
  • Finding the Equation from a Graph (I can go either way on this one)

I’m okay with deleting Exponential and Logarithmic Models and Fitting Exponential Models to Data. I usually don’t have time in my semester to cover this material. But I will yield to the rest of the team.

My sections thus far didn’t have the Key Equations like some of your sections, so I think this remain undecided.