Editing in Pressbook Questions

Good Morning, I have a few question, but not sure who I should direct them to: @emily.frank , @kaitlin

Content numbering:
I noticed that each chapter has a roman numeral. Each section under it contains a number, but the numbers don’t restart with each chapter but are continuous. Can this be changed?

Long Sections:
I find that some of the sections are long and would like to separate them further by learning objective. Is it possible to either ‘add part’ to the organization or add a hyperlink from the Table of Contents to the learning objective? Ideally, I would like to have the additional hierarchy, if possible. If I can ‘add part’, then what is the best way to ‘copy’ the material into that part.

I appreciate the editing that was made to allow for the show answer. But in the Prerequisite Chapter under the Use the following properties of real numbers the first try it when you click on ‘Show Solution’ the solution text goes outside of the box. When I view the html code, it looks like it is more of a function of the textbox created in Pressbooks rather than some raw html code. It is fine, but kind of looks bad.

If you could reply with the resource on Pressbook editing I think I would find that also helpful.

Hi Ginny –

Content Numbering:
I don’t believe there is a way to automatically restart the parts numbering at 1 each time under the chapter level (with the roman numeral). You can remove the numbering entirely from chapters and parts (Appearance > Theme Options > Part and Chapter Numbers) and then in the title for each chapter / part, manually add in the numbering system you prefer as a part of the title.

Long Sections:
Once all parts / sections are done, you could add hyperlinks within the book.

To add a new part/section, go to Organize > Add Part to the area you want it added. You might need to move it by dragging/dropping or using the Move Up/ Move Down option.

To shift content over, I would either copy/paste via the visual editor or, if that doesn’t preserve the formatting you want, copy/paste using the HTML editor.

For where the Show Solution is too long versus the size of the text box, I see what you mean in, for example, the Real Numbers: Algebra Essentials > Using the Order of Operations solution. Let me check with Elizabeth but my thought is this will require reconfiguring the solution text itself to make it shorter/less lateral. If I hear other guidance from Elizabeth, I will circle back with that.

–Emily

2 Likes

Hi Ginny!

Emily covered everything, but below are a few links that may be helpful for you as you’re making edits.

Content numbering:
Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be a way to automatically restart the numbering system for different chapters, however, you can disable all part and chapter numbers and manually enter them. Linked here is some more information about Pressbooks and Automatic Pages and Content.

Long sections:
For longer sections that you’d like to separate further, you can always look into creating a two level table of contents (TOC). This would allow readers to be able to jump to specific spots in the chapter. With this setting on, all top-level headings (Heading 1 or <h1> elements) will be added as chapter subsections in the webbook’s table of contents.

-Kaitlin

2 Likes

Circling back on the Show Solution issue. @gbradley Can you take a look at Using the Order of Operations now? Elizabeth has modified solution A by reformatting the latex.

(The spacing between lines one and two is not desirable but we aren’t immediately seeing what is causing that.)

Here what she shared: “I gave each line its own [latex] and [/latex] opening and closing tags (instead of having all four lines inside one set of tags), and deleted some code that was just there for spacing (& and \hfill). I do think this will need to be fixed manually each time it happens; I don’t see an easy find and replace to fix it.”

Alternatively, if reformatting the latex is not the right route for you all, I wanted to suggest moving all the steps to a preliminary text description (like what you see in solution B). So, there would be written step 1: simplify parenthesis, step 2: simplify exponent, etc and then the visual.

@emily.frank, I saw that Elizabeth was working in the course yesterday. I do see the changes that she made to Using the Order of Operations part a. I have just finished attempting to ‘fix’ part c with the same issues. After many trials and many errors, I think I have something that I can live with. This will be a tedious task, but I’m sure I will get more efficient as I become more familiar with LaTex. I think I will leave this kind of editing until the end as I think we have a higher priority in adding videos and H5P to the text. Thank you.

@emily.frank, @kaitlin I’m trying to create new H5P content. I was referencing the Pressbooks User Guide #89 on H5P interactive content.
I do not have the option for the H5P plug in. I do see the H5P Content when I am editing. When I click on the H5P to add new, I don’t get any options. All Content types show (0) results.
I have used H5P in the past and have an account so I attempted to make content in my old account and download it then upload into Pressbooks, but that failed. Am I missing something?This is what I see from the H5P website:

This is what I see when I try to access H5P in Pressbooks:

Can you try now, @gbradley ? I changed your user status from Editor to Administrator. I think this should make the change so you now see the H5P content types via the book. I can change over everyone else as well.

Emily

2 Likes

@emily.frank ,Thanks! I now see the different options to make interactive H5P media!

I realized that only someone at the Administrator level can add new H5P activity types to the bank. Once a type is added to the bank, an Editor can create H5P activities of that type. Everyone other than you and @jeusea are editors on the book. I’ll leave this as is for now but you all and the cohort can decide what is best moving forward.

As you add content types to use / for others to use, I would advise to focus on accessible content types.

1 Like

Emily,
I was able to create some parts as you described above. But when I’m working in the text (html) editor in Pressbooks, is there was way to have line numbers? I’m use to having line item numbers when working with html. Again because of the length of the sections, it would be helpful to just go to the line number that I am working on. Especially since I’m in a trial and error mode with learning LaTex. BTW, the LaTex is my current obstacle.

Hi Ginny – Would this help: if you highlight the text you’re working on in the visual editor and then switch to the text editor, the highlight will remain. So, you can more easily tell which part you are working on.

Emily

@emily.frank @kaitlin: Some table and figure links are not working in the PressBook. For example, when you click the figure in the first screenshot below, the page in the second screenshot opens instead of the actual figure. Can you please help with the figure/table citation?

@pghimire – This title is the Pressbooks version of OpenStax’s Algebra and Trigonometry, right? Can you find that section of the book in the OpenStax version on their website? If so, is a figure there? If not, let me know where this is found in your book and I’ll do some more digging.

Yes, I think this will be helpful.

@emily.frank; Yes, it the Pressbooks version of OpenStax’s Algebra and Trigonometry. In my book, it is under the subsection ‘Determining Whether a Function is One-to-One’ of the section ‘‘Functions and Function Notation’’ in chapter III. Functions.

Thanks for sending this on. In this case, even in the original OpenStax book, I am having trouble locating which figure they are referencing since they did not number the figures (“the stock chart shown in the figure at the beginning of this chapter” – I guess it is the one on the Introduction page ?).

So, in your text, you should remove that broken link. You can add the figure number to clarify the reference (I know you all discussed adding those figure numbers down the line, so for now you could just add a placeholder to make explicit to yourselves that this needs to be added in the future). If you want to add a link to the image in the Introduction section, you can add an Anchor, which is a hyperlink to allow the user to hop back to the earlier part of the book.

@Emily Frank, is it necessary to have the figures and tables linked? Since the Figure usually immediately follows the reference and is labelled it seems unnecessary. My preference is to label and number accordingly and remove the links.

That being said I know in the concepts they link back to the examples which I would want to keep. But I would think this needs to be done after we have numbered items for easier reference.

It is not necessary. At times, I find these anchor links disorienting, since you end up in a different part of the book. So, I think judicious use or opting for non-linked numbering makes sense!

1 Like

@emily.frank ,
Now that Jared has added some H5P for us to create, I have a question about math equations within H5P. When I go to the H5P website it says that equations using LaTex are allowed if an update has been installed. I tried to enter the math equation as suggested by H5P Mathematical Expressions, but haven’t been successful. Would you be able to follow up to see if it is possible for us to do mathematical equations within H5P within Pressbooks?
Thanks

1 Like

@gbradley Within Pressbooks, you need to use one of the H5P content types to build the activity. Were you working within one of these and then adding a math equation did not work?