Editing in Pressbook Questions

Yes, if you look at the College Algebra H5P, I recreated one called Excluded Values. I tried to use the LaTex code with different attempts, but was unsuccessful…

@gbradley This should be working now. Elizabeth needed to download and install and H5P library into your book.

@jeusea – could you let us know if the other math cohorts will want to use LaTex within the H5P activities? If so, we will be sure to get their books set up in this way, too.

1 Like

Thank you! It works!! :tada: :partying_face:

@emily.frank ,
Thank you for all of your patience while I work on learning Pressbooks. Each section in the College Algebra book has a Key Concepts section. This section contains links to different examples in the section. Although I am trying to avoid linking figures and tables that are adjacent to the label, I thought in this case it might be unavoidable. Therefore, I tried to create anchors for each of examples and make an internal link as described in the Pressbook help. I found the anchor that I created and made a link. But when I go to the online version, I get the OOPS! That content cannot be found. Any ideas? Did I miss a step?
I don’t really like what the Key Concepts look like in this manner and would think numbering the Examples would be better. But before, I ask the rest of the team, I wanted to see if this internal link was an option for us to use. Honestly, I could just do away with the links altogether in the Key Concept section and that would be fine with me.

On another note. The Section Exercises.: It would be nice to have these numbered, but I am running into difficulty because (I think )of the “div” commands. When I started an ordered list “ol” in visual or text editor, it starts and ends within the “div” commands. When I attempted to edit the html to get one big list, it changes my commands from “ol” to unordered list “ul”. Also because I don’t want the Show Solution numbered it interferes with consecutive numbering. So, if there is no easy fix to this, I guess we can keep the “unordered list -ul” or move the Show Solutions to the end of the exercises with perhaps an internal link. Or we can move them to the bottom with the problem in the Show Solution title like I did with the first Show Solution under Algebraic. Any thoughts for me on this one?

@gbradley, I got feedback from our in house expert, Elizabeth :slight_smile:

Anchors

Regarding the anchors, there are two problems: one, the anchor name needs to not have any spaces in it. So instead of “Solving an Equation Algebraically When the Variable Appears on Both Sides,” the name should be something like “solving-an-equation-algebraically-when-the-variable-appears-on-both-sides” (I’d also recommend sticking to lower case). Second, once the link to the anchor is created, it needs to start with a # symbol. There are instructions in the guide on how to search for anchors you’ve already made when adding the link; if you follow this method, make sure to save your edits after adding the anchor but before creating the link, or else you won’t be able to search for the link:

1. Highlight the text you want to hyperlink
  2. Select the link tool
  3. Click the gear icon on the link toolbar labeled Link Options and wait for the Insert/edit Link window to appear
  4. Scroll through existing posts and anchors in your book and select the anchor you wish to link to
  5. Click “Add Link”

Doing so should automatically format the link correctly; so in the example I used above, the url is #solving-an-equation-algebraically-when-the-variable-appears-on-both-sides

Elizabeth also shared she has corrected all of the anchors/links in the Key Concepts section for that chapter.

(@karen.perilloux, noting this for you since you were curious about anchors as well. Let me know if you run into problems if you test this out.)

Key Concept Numbering – Let me email you this because I am having some trouble getting the HTML I want to share to appear properly in the forum.

Emily

1 Like

@emily.frank, can you please import 6.1 Exponential Functions into the Pressbooks?
Can you please combine 6.1 Exponential Functions and 6.2 Graphs of Exponential Functions into one section titled Exponential Functions and Graphs? Thank you.

@csingleton - Those two sections (6.1 and 6.2) are already in Pressbooks. If you would like to you can Add a part, and copy and paste those sections to combine into one section.

1 Like

@jeusea, Do you have software to convert the College Algebra book to HTML? Thank you.

@csingleton - In the Organize view of Pressbooks, you can Edit a section. When you edit, you can go between the Visual and the Text (HTML) tabs.

@csingleton , FYI you can always browse your revisions history and restore a previous version if you make an error.

@emily.frank - Sorry for the delayed response to this forum post. Yes, could you please go ahead and setup the LaTex within the H5P activities for all Math cohorts. I gave each cohort a select few H5P activities for them to use in the pressbook shells, so the LaTex in the H5P will help with creating those.

@jeusea the LaTex library for the H5P activities should now be in place across all the math books!

1 Like

@emily.frank : I am editing the “17 Domain and Range” section of the Chapter " III Function" in our College Algebra book. It looks like some of the figures and math equations are not imported properly into the Pressbook. Can you please take a look at them? Here is a list of the figures and equations that I need help:

• Figure just below the " Learning Objectives."
  • Figure just below the " Describing Sets on the Real Numer line."
  • Figure just below the " Try It"

Note: all these figures are in the original book.

• There are many equations with error messages “Math Processing Error” just above and below the Numeric Exercises

@pghimire sorry for my belated response to this! Prakash, could you confirm if this is still an issue or was the cohort able to resolve it? I will loop in Elizabeth if so to see what guidance she can offer. Please let me know.

@emily.frank : I was able to fix it. Thank you for checking.

@emily.frank I’m running into problems with images. I have been downloading the image from the online text. It saves as a webp extension. I then convert it is jpg extension and upload it into Pressbooks. This has worked well, until today. The last couple of images have been blurry at best. Please see Figure 5 and Figure 6 in the Modeling with Linear Functions section.
Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

1 Like

@emily.frank , Nevermind. I see that I must have chosen medium instead of full size when uploading the picture :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

@gbradley, @pghimire, @karen.perilloux, @jeusea Team feedback is requested.

I have completed the numbering of Section Exercises for Exponential and Logarithmic Functions. However, the Fitting of Exponential Models to Data is locked. Do you know if we will keep this section locked or unlocked? It is not numbered.

Chapter Review Exercises and Chapter Test follows the Fitting Exponential Models to the Data section. Are we unlocking these two sections as well? I will number Chapter Review Exercises and Chapter Tests if needed.

@jeusea , @csingleton @gbradley @karen.perilloux : First draft of Chapter: “Functions” is ready in Pressbook for review. Can you please look at it when you get a chance and provide your comments?

Best,
Prakash Ghimire

@kaitlin, @jeusea, I am having the same issue with Logarithmic Properties. Many boxes are consolidated into one box. It starts at Try It log base 3 (7x^2 +21x/7x(x-1)(x-2)).
This is before the purple box Using the Quotient Rule for Logarithmics.
I watched the Zoom video when you deleted characters, but it is not clear the exact characters.
I need to know what was deleted. Can you please assist?

Thank you,

Cynthia